Friday 16th November






Today I shopped locally for a few food items as we have invited our home exchange partners, Aileen and John together with their friends Barb and Jim (with whom they are staying while we are here) to join us for a curry night.  I find that this is a way to entertain whereby guests can help themselves, I get the opportunity to have a good play in the kitchen and most of the items are readily available.  I found some scallops so I will be cooking a curried scallop recipe much like the one which is contained within the famous Tasmania curried scallop pie – I just won’t be making a pie out of it. One of my favourite recipes for desert is sticky date pudding, so this will feature as well.  We attended a local farmers market in Amherst where I was able to buy some fresh carrots which a lady told me had been freshly dug that morning after she had fed her 100 pigs!!  I gathered a bunch to make a creamy carrot soup for starters.
This market was held in a local hall and is an opportunity for locals to sell their produce, handmade crafts, jams, preserves and baked goods.  I was unable to resist buying a few small Christmas trinkets to take home for both our Christmas tree and stocking fillers for the grandchildren.