Sunday 23rd December

The writing got away from me over the past week, however as a synopsis we managed to do the following activities from last Sunday

Monday 17th December

Shopped at Tysons Corner and basically filled in our last day window shopping and seeing movies.  We have totally different tastes in movies so it is not uncommon for us to go to a theatre and say good bye at the entrance as we go to see our chosen selection.  Bob saw  "The Hobbit", while I enjoyed "The Life of Pi", which I thought followed the book quite closely and being in 3D was enthralling for me.
The Life of Pi (taken from the website)

Tuesday 18th December
View photo album
Our Washington home since 1 December
Clean up house day.  When we home exchange we literally make the house our "home" for the duration of our stay, so at departure we always spend a few solid hours making sure it is at least in the same condition as when we arrived.  In the middle of the day we walked to the local Giant supermarket which was a good 25 minute stroll and purchased a kilo of shelled shrimps and cocktail sauce, along with Moose print ice cream - our diet for the rest of the day - not entirely healthy and nourishing, however it was quick easy and very tasty.

Wednesday 19th December

A very early morning to make sure we were on time for the plane to Los Angeles.  Not knowing the vagaries of DC traffic, nor the distance to the airport we gave ourselves plenty of extra time so the alarm went off at about 4.45 am.
When I called to book a taxi I was told I couldn't book as bookings were only taken outside a 2 hour time frame, so I had to call "when I was ready to be picked up and there is a 10-20 minute wait".  We then quickened our pace and I called them back to say we were ready!! The trip was event free to the terminal and it wasn't until I had booked in our bags that I realised I was carrying in my hand luggage 2 bottles of special cream for our grandchildren's skin conditions that were more than 100 ml - oh my goodness - what to do?  I didn't want to "dump" this cream, so I asked the desk clerk if she could retrieve our bags so that I could then place it into our booked suitcase.  She kindly did this for me, however it did take about 10-15 minutes as the bag no doubt had gone on the conveyor belt to who knows where?  Cream saved!!

Our flight to Los Angeles on Virgin America was very smooth and noticeably without all the frills of Australian planes with the "glam" flight attendants.  We had two gentlemen, one who would have been 55 +, the other sporting the "3 days unshaved look" and a female who was certainly not a size 10.  The bottom line is they all performed their duties, were friendly and efficient.  That is all we need.  One of the interesting aspects to this flight was the ability to use the touch screen in our seat to order anything to eat or drink. Internet access was available for $2 a half hour session - isn't that what internet cafes used to charge? There was only one trolley tour of the plane at the outset and from then onwards food and beverages were as requested by each passenger.
Upon arrival at Los Angeles we had a good walk to stretch our legs and found a trusty Subway to nourish us for dinner.  We lost 3 hours in transit, so a little adaptation to time zones was in order and we had an early night.

Thursday 20th December

As we were not leaving Los Angeles for our flight home until 10.30 pm we got an early start to our final day in USA to be kids again and visit California Adventure Park, which is adjacent to Disneyland.  
We took a shuttle for the trip and as nobody else had booked it for that time or destination we had a 10 seat shuttle bus and driver to ourselves.  At one point I noticed he was hitting 75+ miles per hour in the shared ride lane.  I felt as if we were about to lift off any moment, however had to console myself that it was completely out of my hands and he knows the LA traffic much more than I ever will.
Naturally our day at the theme park was well spent, we saw a colourful and fun parade, enjoyed a few good rides and just let ourselves be swept away in the fantasy of the day. 

 We returned to the hotel where happy hour was in progress so we had a few nibbles to see us through the rest of the evening.
Our flight left at 10.30 pm Thursday night and we arrived in Sydney on Saturday 22nd December at 9.30 am, thus losing Friday 21st December altogether.  Interestingly the 21st of December was the day the naysayers were predicting the "end of the world". We believed we were two of the "chosen ones" who would not be on earth on the 21st so would be spared. As I tell this tale and you read it, I trust that you have been spared too.

Saturday 22nd December
I always think of the following nursery rhyme as we come back to Canberra
"To market to market to buy a fat hog, 
Home again, home again jiggety jog
To market to market to buy a fat pig
Home again, home again jiggety jig"

Victoria, Byson and Zara were waiting for us at the airport to bring us home - all in time to celebrate Christmas with some of our family.
To all those who have looked in from time to time to read about this particular journey - thank you.  I do write it primarily for us to remember incidents, but writing in the public domain means others can come along on the journey too.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Happy Christmas to you all, and we hope a wonderful 2013 lies in wait for you.
We will resume this blog as we travel to Taiwan, Scotland and Canary Islands from 14th February 2013



As we begin our journeys through 2013 I have created a new blog here:-

http://www.weloveretirement2013.blogspot.com.au/


Welcome along!!